No one wants to spend more on storage than they really need to. Knowing how to make the most of your self storage unit can keep costs within budget and ensure your money is going to good use.
Keys to saving money on storage
- Declutter - Before you move your gear into storage make sure you have got rid of all the junk, rubbish and bits you don't need anymore. For tips on decluttering - 10 great reasons to declutter
- Choose the right size unit - Once you've got rid of the clutter you will have a better idea of which size storage unit you'll need. Ask the staff at your storage facility for advice if you are unsure.
- Pack carefully - If you just throw stuff in boxes rather than packing carefully it will take up more packing boxes and therefore more space in the unit. Packing tip - vacuum bags can significantly reduce the space that clothes and linen take up.
- Uniform boxes - using boxes that are the same size allows you to easily stack them up, taking full advantage of the 'up' space as well as the 'across' space.
- Fill packing boxes to the top - not only does this make use of all the space in the box, it also means when you stack them up in the unit they won't collapse into each other.
- Fill everything - Yes, every nook and cranny. Pack drawers, wardrobes, and bookshelves with smaller items, squeeze things into the washing machine, load up the dryer, even stuff the fridge. (Just remember to leave the doors of appliances ajar to allow air flow and prevent mould.)
- Dismantle - Where possible take furniture or large items apart to reduce their size and make them easier to stack.
- Protect - No one wants an expensive dry cleaning bill to remove dirt and marks out of soft furnishings after storage. Take care of mattresses with a mattress cover and safeguard lounge suite and chairs with covers.
- Plan your space - Organize as you stack, don't just pile your stuff haphazardly in the storage unit. Least used items at the back, heavy boxes at the bottom and store the things you might need soon nearer the front.
- Get the right insurance - Whether it's the storage insurance offered by your storage facility or a policy through your current insurer, make sure you know what's included, what's not.